Ghostgrrrl in the Machine

A place to share information and tools to survive in the 21st century.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

First Freeway Blog Post

Oh My GOD! I was so scared, my mouth was so dry. I started off before dawn so i could catch the morning rush hour and be more discreet. I had some scrap masonite and had painted a sign saying, "BorkAlito, Call your Senators". I felt an urgency to get this one out there so I had not had an opportunity to find the right spot for the type of sign I had. There are several small buttes around me that have great views of freeways but I had decided that my sign was too small for those so, I chose a freeway overpass close to my house. The first thing I learned was to post in a place that you can get to quickly and leave quickly. I had thought there was a place to park fairly close but I ended up parking in a city facility and hoofin' it almost half a mile with the sign straining my thumb and fingers. I wanted to keep it out of sight behind the 3 foot concrete wall so i did not carry it under my arm. And I know that lots of police officers gas up around there somewhere so that was making me nervous too. But, like the time I started up the down escalater at the movie theater and the ticket taker started yelling at me to stop, I hesitated, but realized I couldn't go back. I had to finish what i started. Especially when someone was telling me to stop(my fear/antipathy towards authority) So, I kept running up the down escalater and kept on with my sign, not caring that I felt like everyone was staring at me. I'm sure they didn't even notice me on their way to their cubicle jobs. I finally made it to the spot that would get the most visability and realized that the bottom fence railing would cut off "Senators". I had thought of drilling holes and wiring it to the fence but had decided that leaning it against the fence would be less conspicuous to a pedestrian or passer by than that. But I soon realized there aren't enough pedestrians or bike riders going by to really matter that much and the concrete wall would hide it from any drivers or cops. So I think that zip ties would work really well for this situation. Anyways, I ended up leaning the sign against the fencing and leaving it at that. I drove round to get onto the freeway so I could see how it looked but by the time I got there it had most likely fallen over. Hopefully a sympathetic pedestrian put it back up. I think I will bike to that site in the future with a fold up sign.

For those unfamiliar with freeway blogging check out the link. Fun times!

9 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger Ghostgrrrl said...

Support progressive radio in Arizona. Sign my petition here http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ANPRP/petition.html

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Ghostgrrrl said...

Ha! A sympathetic passerby DID pick up the sign. My friend was walking to the post office and saw it! The universe is on our side!

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Ghostgrrrl said...

Sign my petition to show support for progressive radio in Arizona here.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger @whut said...


"Cut your puppet strings and run away"

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Change said...

Hi "Ghostgrrrl!" I know who you are...
Great site! I'll continue to check back in and put up a link to it on my site as well!

Ghostgrrrl: the new freeway blogger, yeeeeaaaahhh!

JWK

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Melina said...

You are my hero(ine!)...I spent the better part of the last couple of days looking round to find where to put signs around here! I am definitley gonna start doing this, and not only on the freeway! The Merritt Parkway is hard to stop on but would be perfect (especially in Greenwich) for a big leaner!!
Keep it up!!

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Melina said...

You are my hero(ine!)...I spent the better part of the last couple of days looking round to find where to put signs around here! I am definitley gonna start doing this, and not only on the freeway! The Merritt Parkway is hard to stop on but would be perfect (especially in Greenwich) for a big leaner!!
Keep it up!!

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Ghostgrrrl said...

Just be safe out there everyone. I can see how one could become a little reckless to get to that great spot on the overpass.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Ghostgrrrl said...

So, I rode my bike out to my sign and did what I could with a clip.It's pretty windy but the wind is blowing the sign into the fence. Zip ties, I need to get some zip ties.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home