Ghostgrrrl in the Machine

A place to share information and tools to survive in the 21st century.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

WTF does my credit score have to do w/ my aptitude as an employee?

Just about everyone who's ever applied for a job in recent years has had to succumb to a number of invasions into their privacy. Most of us just allow it for survival sake or we understand that the nature of the job requires a large amount of judgements about safety so we allow background checks and drug testing. But credit checks, what does someone's credit have to do with someones' performance on the job? Increasingly, in my search for a job, I am coming across release forms that allow an employer to check your credit. When I have asked why they need this form, I have been told that they don't use it for checking a potential employees credit but they use it to get other information like an MVD report. So, naturally, my next question is why don't you use an MVD request form if that's what you want? I never get an answer to that one. You won't be considered for the job unless you sign this form. Is that even legal or constitutional? It doesn't seem like it should be in America. If anyone else has any experiences with this I would love to hear them and what you did or didn't do about it. I just simply said goodbye. Would I do that for a better paying job? I don't know, but so far the decision has been pretty easy.

Sign my petition to support progressive radio in Arizona. Shout out to your favorite progressive/liberal radio host.

1 Comments:

At 10:09 PM, Blogger Ghostgrrrl said...

That's if one gives a crap about their credit. I worked in a cannery and I stayed long enough to pay for my rainsuit, went to lunch and never came back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home